At the close of each year, it can be hard to keep track of all the special holiday and New Year’s sales and bargains. You’ve got Black Friday, then Cyber Monday, the lots of last-minute Christmas sales. Next there are the after-Christmas deals as retailers unload their excess inventory. There’s Boxing Day in the UK. In the USA the sales shift into high gear as soon as the holidays end, especially for high-tech gadgets and electronics.
One of the most sought-after items is the Amazon Kindle. But now, if you want a top-of-the-line Kindle Oasis, and you act soon, you can get one at a dramatic 25 percent discount.
How the Deal Works
This is a limited time promotion. If you do a trade-in, it needs to be completed by December 28th, 2018. The bonus 25% discount deal will expire February 28th, 2019.
- The bonus 25% savings can be used only toward the purchase of qualifying Kindle e-readers that are shipped and sold by Amazon Digital Services.
- You cannot apply the 25% discount to buy a used Kindle, or to buy from dealers other than Amazon. You cannot combine it with any other offers, and you can only use the discount once.
- But if you want to combine a balance you have on an Amazon.com Gift Card to help pay for the new device, that’s permitted.
- That also means that if you do a trade-in and get an Amazon Gift Card for the value of the trade-in, you can apply that to your Kindle purchase.
The 25% promotional discount toward a new Kindle pertains to all eligible Kindle trade-ins.
Here’s a Theoretical Example
Here’s an example of how that could work:
- Let’s say you trade in your old Kindle and are given a $50 Gift Card in exchange. (By the way, most trade-ins will be accepted and exchanged for value of between five bucks and about $70 bucks).
- Next, you take advantage of the 25% discount by picking out a Kindle and putting it into your Amazon shopping cart. The discount will be automatically applied to your purchase at checkout.
- You can use the qualifying discount to buy a basic Kindle, a Kindle Paperwhite, a Kindle Voyage, a Kindle Oasis, or even a Kindle for Kids Bundle.
- Let’s say you pick a Kindle Oasis with a list price of $249.99. The discount of 25% would knock what you owe down to around $187.
- In our example, of a $50 Gift Card for the trade-in, the final price tag would be $187 minus the $50 if you use the gift card.
The bottom line is that would mean you snagged an Oasis worth about $250 for $187 minus $50, or only about $137. That’s a great savings.
How Some Consumers are Taking Full Advantage
There are also reports of consumer who trade in old Kindles that don’t even work any more. They don’t get paid much for the trade-in, but once the trade is approved they buy themselves a brand new Kindle, taking advantage of the huge 25% discount. Some people say they even go to yard sales, eBay, or flea markets to buy a really cheap Kindle. Then they trade in and use the 25% discount to still come out way ahead in the transaction with a significant amount of net, bottom-line savings.
More About the Trade-In Program
The Amazon Trade-In program allows customers to receive an Amazon Gift Card in exchange for hundreds of thousands of eligible items including video games, Kindle E-readers, books, and more. The process is easy and convenient with an immediate offer and free shipping.
Depending on your location, trade-in items may take up to 10 business days to arrive before they are processed. Once your item is received and appraised, you’ll receive an e-mail notification within 2 business days informing you whether your items were accepted or rejected. There are no fees, and no cost for shipping. You just print out a free shipping label with shipping already paid by Amazon. You can even initiate the trade using your Amazon app.
If your item is not listed in the Trade-In Store, Amazon’s not accepting those trades. But they change the list of items often, so you can check back in later to see if your item qualifies. The gift card value is based on the device model and condition, which is displayed upon checkout and will be verified upon device receipt.