PREFACE of THE ROCKS
- The novel is aimed at the full spectrum of readers, from the youthful to the elderly and both sexes.
- Historically accurate fiction (1853 - 1856). The daily lives of the characters are intertwined with the significant historical events of the times.
- It is the story of a 14 year old orphan boy who through honest hard work, ingenuity and the knowledge gained from extensive reading rises from poverty to become an entrepreneur within a span of three years.
- He starts out by performing entertaining scientific feats that the average person would think impossible and earns money thereby. These are described and explained in dialogue form and is essentially popular science to the reader.
- He purchases a property which is known locally as “The Rocks” that is an ancient riverbed strewn with massive boulders and a multitude of smaller stones. It appears to be an absolutely worthless property in southeastern New Hampshire.