Viral Marketing Mechanics HTML version
Viral Marketing Mechanics 19 February2008
The Many Facets of Viral Marketing
In the beginning, e-mail was the one way that viral marketing was started. Since
that long ago day, viral marketing has gone from a marketing strategy to an art
form and there are many ways to accomplish the objective of creating a successful
viral marketing campaign. Seven of those ways are:
1. E-mail: It was first but it is still around and still used. It is, however,
getting a little harder to use as more and more government restrictions are
placed on it. Still… it does work.
2. Newsletters: This is an extension of e-mail but it a very effective tool. If
you include enough timely and valuable information, a good newsletter
can drive up the number of visits to your website.
3. Blogging: Providing the tools on your website to enable bloggers to
interact with one another is a terrific way to get the message about your
product of service out there and being talked about. Bloggers have their
ears to the ground for new products and services.
4. Chat Rooms: A chat room on your website can and does encourage
interaction among your customers and that can’t be a bad thing. Also, you
can use the chat room to schedule special events like having an expert
available to answer questions on a given day at a given time.
5. Tell-a-friend Script: If you add this with a statement saying that e-mail
addresses supplied will never be shared with third parties, you can
increase your potential customer list greatly.
6. Video Clips: Including cool video clips on your website will keep the
interest up and increase traffic.
7. Flash Games: Although they are a little costly to start, they are an
extremely effective tool to get your viral marketing campaign going. Once
they are launched, they require nothing more from you.
We will look at some of these in detail as we progress through our short E-