Taming The Tongue HTML version
Adam came into agreem ent with those words.
Adam failed to speak words to protect their relationship.
· Ephesians 5:1 - “We are called to be imitators of God – as His children”.
3. Your T ongue is your Glory:
· Why has God designed you with a tongue? What did He intent?
· Psalm 16:8-9 - “My heart is glad and my glory rejoices”.
· Acts 2:25-26 - “My heart rejoiced and my tongue was glad”.
· T he tongue distinguishes man above all other living creatures.
· Peter was inspired by the Holy Spirit at Pentecost interprets
– Psalm 16:9 - “My tongue is my glory”.
· Psalm 30:12 - “My glory may sing praise to you” – your tongue is your glory.
· Glory = 3519 = kabad = weight, honour.
Rt = to honour, to bring honour to, to gain value, to impart value, honour.
· T he words you release:
i) Reveal your heart.
ii) Can impart value and honour.
· Note: T he first use of words in the Bible – was to create value, produce new things in the visible realm.
· T he first use of Words after the Holy Spirit came on Pentecost:
i) Honour God the Source – Acts 2:11 and Acts 10:46.
ii) Speak and Act as His represent ative and create new life.
- Acts 2:4 - Peter standing up with the eleven raised his voice.
- Acts 2:40-41 - T hose who gladly received his words were baptised.
- Acts 3:6 - In the Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.
4. God's Design – Life Giving Words:
· John 6:63 - “The words I speak are spirit and life”.
Jesus is the model – He is the example to shape and build life upon.
· T wo key purposes for our tongue:
i) Honour God – our Creator and Source:
a) T hanks Giving:
· Psalm 69:30 - “I will magnify Him with thanksgiving”.
· Psalm 50:23 - “Whoever offers praise magnifies Me”.
· T hanksgiving and praise creat e an atmosphere that God indwells.
· God delights in thanksgiving and praise – Hebrews 13:15-16
· Using our tongue to honour and express gratitude nurtures our relationships with Him – Romans 1:21
ii) Speak and Act as God's Personal Representative:
· How do we use words to act as God's representative?
a) Fulfill Commitments we make:
· Psalm 15:14 - “Swears to his own heart it does not change”.
· God is a covenant keeping God who watches over His words and reputation.
· When we keep our word – we act as God's representative.
b) Use words to Establish, Nurture and Protect Relationships:
· Proverbs 15:23 - “A word spoken in season, how good it is”
- Isaiah 50:4
· Proverbs 15:4 - “A wholesome tongue is a tree of life”.
· Ephesians 4:29 - “No corrupt word – good for edifying that might impart grace”.
· Ephesians 4:15 - “Speaking the truth, in love we grow”
c) Use words to release the Supernatural Power o f God:
· Faith Confession – Hebrews 3:1
· Prophetic Words – 1 Corinthians 14:3
· Faith Commands – Mark 11:22-24
· Prayer – James 5:16
Wise Words (10 of 12)
Sun 23 Dec 2007 AM « Back to Top
When God wants to change something in the natural world, He always gets someone to speak, b ecause words are
the way the power of God is released from the spiri t world into the natural world. Death and life are in the power of
the tongue. Your tongue has power. With our tongue we express our words, ideas, feelings, and fears. If there's