Taming The Tongue HTML version
3. T he Root of the Issues of the Heart
· Proverbs 27:19 - “As a water face reflects face so a mans heart reveals the man”.
- Water act as a mirror that reveals what we look like.
- What is in your heart reveals what kind of person you are.
- T he overflow o f the heart is the mouth – your words reveal who you are.
· Matthew 12:33-37 - “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks”.
- Abundance = to overflow with what fills the heart.
- T reasure = things that you value, long for, hold onto, think on, store up.
- Whatever your heart holds and values will overflow out through words.
- Our words are so important that we are required to give account for them.
- Our words give expression to the life within and creat e our future.
· Proverbs 22:11 - “He who loves purity of heart and has grace on his lips, the King will be his friend”.
- Purity of heart overflows in grace – empowering words that strengthen and build.
- Our relationship With Jesus – the King of Kings is impacted by our words.
4. Diseases of the T ongue:
· Note: Problems in you body – Doctor looks at tongue (poor diet, infection)
· Proverbs 6:16-19 - T hese things the Lord hates – Lying tongue.
· Lying = deliberately alters facts to misrepresent truth.
= withhold part of truth to create a false impression and deceive.
· Example: Genesis 20:1-12 - Abraham lied about his wife Sarah – created false impression.
· Heart issue: Fear; Hate (Proverbs 26:26-28); Hidden motive.
· Proverbs 12:27 - “lying lips are an abolishment to the Lord”.
· Jeremiah 9:6 - “Through deceit they refuse to know me”.
ii) Gossip / Slander:
· Psalm 15:1-3 - “… does not backbite with tongue,…take up a reproach”.
· Gossip = talk about someone else's personal affairs.
- As the story is shared it is „colored' by the person's attitude.
- T hose listening hear the words and pick up the heart attitude.
· Slander = False and malicious statements about someone.
- Words falsely spoken that misrepresent the person and damage their reputation or impart offen ce to the hearer.
· Proverbs 11:13 - “A talebearer reveals secrets but he who is of faithful spirit conceals a matter (doesn't gossip or slander)”.
· Proverbs 6:19 - “Lord hates – false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren”.
· Example: Numbers 12:1-9 – Miriam.
· Heart issue: Bitterness; Pride; Envy; Rebellion
Ephesians 4:25 - “Putting away lying speech”.
· Proverbs 12:19 - „lip of truth shall be established forever but the lying tongue is but for a moment”.
· Proverbs 26:28 - “a flattery mouth works ruin”.
· Flattery = excessive or insincere praise – often with hidden agenda.
- Person showers positive compliments but with hidden motives: ask for favo r; obtain information.
· Proverbs 29:5 - “A man who flatters his neighbor spreads a net for his feet”.
· 2 Samuel 15-16 - Absolom.
· Heart issue: seeking approval, seeking recognition, hidden agnda.
· Isaiah 6:5-7 - “Isaiah's lips cleansed through confession and encounter with God => empowered to represent God.
Empty Words (3 of 12)
Sun 25 Nov 2007 PM « Back to Top
Words are containers – they carry a ‘spirit’ content. They are living seeds that produce fruit when spoken. The words
we speak impacts our relationships, our personal health and destiny. What words are you releasing into th e world
around? Empty words include: flattery; religious Words; lame excuses; insincere commitments. God speaks words
that create, impart life, and release spiritual authority. We are called to imitate god.
I want you to open your Bible then in James, Chapter 3. We've been speaking about Taming the Tongue. Oh my, it's
been a really good series. I've found myself catching myself every day with words, catching the words I'm speaking,
starting to look again at the things I'm saying, and we saw that we're in a season where God's wanting us to prepare
our hearts, prepare our lives. One area of your life to really deal with is the tongue, the words that we speak, and
we've been looking at diseases of the tongue, chronic diseases of the tongue. We looked at some Bible pictures of
the tongue, and it was pictured as a deadly serpent about to bite. It was pictured as a sword, about to pierce