Safe Operating Procedure by P. C. Sahoo - HTML preview
Download the book in PDF, ePub, Kindle for a complete version.
Safety glasses must be worn at
Long and loose hair must be
all times in addition to welding
Appropriate footwear with
Close fitting/protective clothing
substantial uppers must be
to cover arms and legs must be
Respiratory protection devices
Oil free leather gloves and spats
may be required for some
must be worn when welding.
Rings and jewellery must not
A welding mask with correct grade lens
must be worn.
PRE-OPERATIONAL SAFETY CHECKS
1. Ensure no slip/trip hazards are present in workspaces and walkways.
2. Ensure the work area is clean and clear of grease, oil, and any flammable materials.
3. Keep the welding equipment and work area dry to avoid electric shocks.
4. Ensure the gloves are dry and free from holes to avoid electric shocks.
5. Ensure electrode holder and work leads are in good condition.
6. Ensure fume extraction unit is on before beginning welding operation.
7. Ensure other people are protected from flashes by closing curtain to welding bay or by erecting screens.
8. Faulty equipment must not be used. Immediately report suspect equipment.
OPERATIONAL SAFETY CHECKS
1. Keep welding leads as short as possible and coil them to minimise inductance.
2. Ensure the electrode holder has no electrode in it before turning on the welding machine.
3. Ensure current is correctly set according to electrode selection.
4. Do not use bare hands and never wrap electrode leads around yourself.
5. When welding is finished or interrupted, remove electrode stub from holder and switch off power source.
1. Switch off the machine and fume extraction.
2. Hang up electrode holder and welding cables and leave the work area in a safe, clean and tidy state.