Robinson Crusoe HTML version

First Weeks On The Island
WHEN I waked it was broad day, the weather clear, and the storm abated, so that the sea
did not rage and swell as before. But that which surprised me most was, that the ship was
lifted off in the night from the sand where she lay by the swelling of the tide, and was
driven up almost as far as the rock which I at first mentioned, where I had been so
bruised by the wave dashing me against it. This being within about a mile from the shore
where I was, and the ship seeming to stand upright still, I wished myself on board, that at
least I might save some necessary things for my use.
When I came down from my apartment in the tree, I looked about me again, and the first
thing I found was the boat, which lay, as the wind and the sea had tossed her up, upon the
land, about two miles on my right hand. I walked as far as I could upon the shore to have
got to her; but found a neck or inlet of water between me and the boat which was about
half a mile broad; so I came back for the present, being more intent upon getting at the
ship, where I hoped to find something for my present subsistence.
A little after noon I found the sea very calm, and the tide ebbed so far out that I could
come within a quarter of a mile of the ship. And here I found a fresh renewing of my
grief; for I saw evidently that if we had kept on board we had been all safe - that is to say,
we had all got safe on shore, and I had not been so miserable as to be left entirety
destitute of all comfort and company as I now was. This forced tears to my eyes again;
but as there was little relief in that, I resolved, if possible, to get to the ship; so I pulled
off my clothes - for the weather was hot to extremity - and took the water. But when I
came to the ship my difficulty was still greater to know how to get on board; for, as she
lay aground, and high out of the water, there was nothing within my reach to lay hold of.
I swam round her twice, and the second time I spied a small piece of rope, which I
wondered I did not see at first, hung down by the fore-chains so low, as that with great
difficulty I got hold of it, and by the help of that rope I got up into the forecastle of the
ship. Here I found that the ship was bulged, and had a great deal of water in her hold, but
that she lay so on the side of a bank of hard sand, or, rather earth, that her stern lay lifted
up upon the bank, and her head low, almost to the water. By this means all her quarter
was free, and all that was in that part was dry; for you may be sure my first work was to
search, and to see what was spoiled and what was free. And, first, I found that all the
ship's provisions were dry and untouched by the water, and being very well disposed to
eat, I went to the bread room and filled my pockets with biscuit, and ate it as I went about
other things, for I had no time to lose. I also found some rum in the great cabin, of which
I took a large dram, and which I had, indeed, need enough of to spirit me for what was
before me. Now I wanted nothing but a boat to furnish myself with many things which I
foresaw would be very necessary to me.
It was in vain to sit still and wish for what was not to be had; and this extremity roused
my application. We had several spare yards, and two or three large spars of wood, and a
spare topmast or two in the ship; I resolved to fall to work with these, and I flung as many
of them overboard as I could manage for their weight, tying every one with a rope, that