Put God First HTML version
God wants to give. God is an abundant giver, God is a generous God. Angels rejoice
when we show kindness on those who are in need.
Why don't we just give a generous worship to God, as we finish with this last song. We
love the Lord, and we want to honour Him today, and just express our gratitude.
Formatted » Back to Top »
· Mt. 6:24 “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or
else he will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and Mammon”.
· There is a battle for your heart over the issue of money. It is a daily on-going battle.
· We need to bring our finances into position of divine blessing by honouring the Lord first.
· Mt.5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law of the Prophets. I did not come to destroy
but to fulfil (reveal their true intent and application).
· Jesus raised the standard – He revealed the true intent and application.
· V21 e.g. OT = You shall not murder – but I say that whosever is angry …
e.g. OT = You shall not commit adultery – But I say to you whosever looks at women to lust …
e.g. OT = circumcise children – N T circumcision is of the heart (Rom.2:29)
e.g. OT = tithing – give 1/10th – NT Generosity 2 Cor. 9:5-11
You can tithe and not be generous – generosity is an issue of the hea rt.
2. Generosity is a Heart Issue
· Jn.12:1-8 “The house was filled with the fragrance of the oil”.
· Definition = Generous = liberal in giving or sharing, unselfish, free from meanness or
= willing to give of money, time, resources.
· Opposite = Selfish = mean, miserable, stingy, reluctant to give, tight, withholding.
· Generosity and selfishness are a daily battle.
· We are not born generous – we are born selfish e.g. children – “mine, mine”
· Selfishness originated with Satan and was imparted into the human race.
· Generosity exposes and reveals selfishness.
· Vs5-6 Why was this fragrant oil not sold for 300 denarii and given to the poor?
· Judas became agitated, critical, judgemental – “ought to give to the poor”.
· He manifested heart attitude of greed, selfishness, envy, jealousy. He did not care for the poor –
he cared for himself.
· Selfishness always criticizes the generosity or blessings of others to conceal “itself”.
Selfishness – cares for self, protects self, and provides excuses not to be generous.
· V6 He was a thief – and had the money box (entrusted with Jesus finances). He was unfaithful
in unrighteous mammon – lacked generosity.
(Eph.4:28 “Let him that stole steal no more – rather work with his hands what is good that he
may have something to give to him that is in need”.)
3. Generosity is Extravagant
· Jn.12:3-5 very costly oil – 300 denarii cf Mk. 14:4