A Young Folks' History of the Church HTML version

On Friday, the 11th, the mob drew up to the city and began firing. They were met by the
"Mormon" troops with their home-made cannon, which surprised the mobbers very
much, and they were compelled to stop their advance.
On Saturday, the 12th, a flag of truce was brought into the city, and with it a note to the
commander at Nauvoo, stating that if they did not surrender they would have to take the
consequences. Major Clifford replied that he had been sent by the governor to uphold the
laws and that he was going to do it, advising Brockman to disband his men.
The Nauvoo citizens had held their position during the night and had thrown up some
breastworks. The next day the battle waged fiercer than ever, but the Nauvoo boys held
their ground and the mob could not get in. Twelve mobbers were wounded. The first one
killed among the defenders was Augustus Anderson, a "Mormon" boy fourteen years old.
He left his mother that morning saying he would fight for her, and went along with his
father, Captain William Anderson. Augustus was struck by a cannon ball, and died in a
few minutes. Shortly after Captain Anderson was also hit.
"I am wounded," he cried. "Take my gun and shoot on."
David Norris was also killed, and a number of other brethren wounded.
For six days that little band of brave defenders kept the mob at bay; and even when it was
seen to be useless to keep the fight up longer, many were in favor of doing so.
On the 16th a treaty was made. The city was to surrender. The citizens were not to be
molested, and the sick and helpless were to be protected. The "Mormons" were to leave
as soon as possible.
The mob forces entered the city on the 17th; but it was the same old story. They thought
no more of promises or of the treaty. Bands of men went through the city, stealing,
insulting, and in every way abusing the people. A gang went through the temple and up to
the tower where they rang the bell, yelled and shouted. A preacher who was in the mob
went up to the top of the tower and cried in a loud voice:
"Peace! peace! peace! to the inhabitants of the earth, now the 'Mormons' are driven!"
The poor Saints had to get away as fast as they could. Some went north, some south, but
most of them crossed the river and camped on the low bottoms of the Mississippi in
Iowa. I shall not attempt to tell you of the sufferings of these poor people; weak, sick
hungry, cold, and wet. It would make your heart ache to see the picture, one of the
saddest in all our history.
At this time, when it seemed as though these people would starve to death, a strange thing
happened. Great flocks of quail came flying into camp. They flew against the wagons
with such force that they were killed or stunned, so that they could be picked up. They
also alighted all over the camp and were so tame that they could be taken by the hand.
Thus the Lord sent food to his hungry children.
If you wish to read a very interesting account of this removal from Nauvoo, read Colonel
Kane's lecture, found in many of our larger histories. [Note: Jensen's Historical Record,
page 838. Whitney's History of Utah. Vol. I, page 274.]