7 Essential Oils - 100 Solutions
GUIDELINES FOR THE SAFE USE OF YOUNG LIVING ESSENTIAL OILS
1. Always keep a bottle of pure vegetable mixing oil or any pure vegetable oil handy when
using essential oils. Vegetable oils dilute essential oils if they cause discomfort or skin
irritation. DO NOT USE WATER as essential oils are non-water soluble: using water will
only spread the essential oil over a larger area.
2. Keep bottles of essential oils tightly closed and store them in a cool location away from
light. If stored properly, essential oils will maintain their potency for many years.
3. Keep essential oils out of the reach of children. Treat them as you would any product for
4. Do not use essential oils rich in menthol (such as peppermint) on the throat or neck area
of children under 30 months of age.
5. Lemon, bergamot, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, White Angelica and other citrus oils may
cause a rash or darker pigmentation if applied to skin exposed to direct sunlight or UV
rays within 3-4 days of use.
6. Keep essential oils away from eye area and do not put into ears. Do not handle contact
lenses or rub eyes with essential oils on fingers.
7. Pregnant women should consult their health care professional before using essential oils
containing constituents with hormone-like activity, such as Clary sage, Idaho tansy,
juniper and fennel.
8. Epileptics and those with high blood pressure should consult their health care
professional before using essential oils. Avoid hyssop, fennel, and Idaho tansy oils.
9. People with allergies should test a small amount of oil on a small area of sensitive skin,
such as the inside of the arm, before applying the oil on other areas. The bottom of the
feet is one of the safest, most effective places to use essential oils.
10. Before taking GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) essential oils internally, always dilute
with an oil-soluble liquid like honey, olive oil or soy milk.
11. Do not add undiluted essential oils directly to bath water. Use Bath Gel Base as a
dispersing agent for oils in the bath.