Put God First
Here’s the second thing: You will be the sons of the most-high God, sons of your
Most people see Christians as hypocrites. Have any heard that one? There's hypocrites
outside the church, as well as ones in it; nothing new about being a hypocrite.
But here's one thing you can't mistake. He said: when you give, and there's no agenda
in it, you're not a hypocrite. You're so sincere that people can't work you out.
There's got to be a hitch. There's got to be a string, got to be some test. No, no, no, no.
Actually that's what the kingdom is like: God's good to everyone, whether they're good
If we're going to move towards engaging our community, the first thing we have to do is
enlarge our hearts and become generous, to be able to give.
What if they don't come to Christ? Was that a waste of time? No, it wasn't! You gave,
and sowed the time’ and God knows how to restore it and redeem it to you.
The issue is not what happened in them. The issue is: you doing something God wants
you to do - being kind to people; and sowing time into people; connecting with people;
investing in people; encouraging people; showing hospitality to people - it's about us
If we haven't got enough for ourselves, there's no overflow; and if we think people need
to deserve it before we'll give it, there's no overflow either.
We need to come into a place of grace: God is good to us. Can w say amen to that?
God is good to us!
Formatted » Back to Top »
1. Introduction (Review)
Jn.12:1-7 “Mary took a pound of very costly oil of Spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and
wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil”.
· Generosity is unlimited – you choose how generous you are.
· Generosity that is extravagant is like a sweet fragrance – very noticeable.
· Generosity flows out of a heart of gratitude – Mary grateful Lazarus is alive.
· Generosity exposes greed (vs5-6)
· Generosity is rewarded in unexpected ways (Mt.26:13 – a memorial to her).
2. Generosity is the Practical Expression of being Right with God
· Ps.112:9 “..He has given to the poor, his righteousness endures forever”
· Ps.37:21 “…The righteous shows mercy and gives (Also vs 25-26)