Put God First
· Extravagant = exceeds the bounds of reason, goes beyond what is deserved.
· Generosity is never a waste! It is an issue of heart – expressing the nature of God.
· It is not the amount given that counts but what is in your heart as you give:
e.g. Mary: 1 denarii = 1x days wage – gave 1x years wages
David: 3000 talents of gold 7000 talents of silver – 6+ billion dollars
(1 talent = 1050 per oz) (1 Chron.29:2-5)
· Solomon (1 K. 4:3-13) 1000 burnt offerings (God’s response - ??
· Widow’s meal (1 K. 7:13) Widow gave her last meal.
· Widow’s mite (Mt. 12:47) Gave more than all.
· Abraham (Gen.22:2) Gave his only son.
· Jesus (Jn.3:16) Gave His life for the world.
4. Generosity flows from Gratitude
· Jn.12:1 “Lazarus who had been dead, whom He raised from the dead”.
· Mary’s perspective totally altered by the resurrection from the dead of her brother.
· Heart was filled with gratitude and appreciation and honour for Jesus.
· (v7) When you give to God you do not know the impact it will have, how God uses.
· God always has a purpose for the gift that you give.
· Generosity to the Lord and people is the overflow of a grateful heart.
2 Cor. 9:7-8
· David was grateful – gave
· Solomon was grateful - gave
5. Generosity is Rewarded
· Mk.4:6 “Leave her alone – what she has done will be told as a memorial to her”.
She did not give to be rewarded – but she was rewarded.
· Lk.6:31-35 “Your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High”.
- Jesus teaches on giving with no hidden agenda of personal gain.
- World: operates on trading – buy and sell – I give you and I expect from you.
- Kingdom: operates on giving and receiving – I give to you without any expectations from you.
· This is what astonishes people – when we give without expecting return.
· It is contrary to the trading they experience in the world – “giving with hooks”.
· Will we be rewarded? Certainly – God sees to that in His time and way.
· Is.32:8 “The generous man devises generous things and by his generosity he will stand” NKJ
· Good men will be generous to others and will be blessed of God for all they do” LIVING
· How intentional are you in planning to be generous?
· How could you grow in generosity with money? Time? Resources?
· How readily available are you and your resources for the K ingdom of God?
Generosity (4 of 4)
Sun 9 Sep 2012 AM « Back to Top