Put God First
4. Giving the First Portion is an Issue of the Heart
· Giving the tithe, the first portion to God is a heart issue.
· Is God going to be first in my life, have my love and loyalty?
· Key Heart Issues
(i) Honour - Will I honour God and place Him first? (Prov.3:19)
- What value do I place on God and my relationship?
(ii) Faith - Will I trust God with who He is – a generous provider
- Will I trust God by giving my first 10th – tithe?
e.g. Gen.22:1 Abraham gave his first born son
Gen 4:4 Abel gave his first born animal
(iii) Gratitude - Am I grateful to God for all that He has given to me?
e.g. Gen.14:18 Abraham gave tithe out of gratitude to blessing
(iv) Willing - Will I give out of a willing heart or out of duty, fear
e.g. Ex. 35,5 Israel brought with a willing heart
1 Cor.8:12 First a willing mind
· Without exception tithers say – I am blessed God has blessed me
· Without exception non tithers say – I cannot afford to tithe
· The first portion carries the blessing that redeems the rest
· Mt.23:23 “These things (tithe) ought to have done and not neglected the weightier matters of
the law justice, mercy, faith”
· Mal.3:8-9 “Prove me in this – bring the whole tithe into the storehouse”
Generosity (3 of 4)
Sun 26 Aug 2012 AM « Back to Top
We have seen many people that have had much money and yet they didn't have what
money seemed to promise, health and prosperity and every good thing. It seems like it
still eludes them, so we looked at that and saw that Jesus taught very specifically about
us placing God first. To be generous is to be liberal. It's an attitude of heart that shows
up in every area of your life including finances. Generosity exposes selfishness!
I want to speak today on Generosity. I've been learning as I've been going, you know, I
haven't spoken on money for years really; and yet Jesus spoke on it so much, so many
A large percentage of what Jesus taught and spoke about was stewardship, and
managing natural things; but when we start to talk money, immediately people tend to
So let's go back where we started in Matthew 6:24; and it's talking about laying up
treasures in heaven. “No one can serve two masters. He will hate one and love the