Fun craft projects
3. Terra Cotta Birdbath
The Terra Cotta Birdbath is a simple and inexpensive crafting
project that adds a definite flare to your yards or patios. This
project is a must for bird lovers, but everyone will love the look
and addition that this adorable project brings to their home. The
Terra Cotta Birdbath offers your feathered friends a retreat and
allows you the pleasure of relaxing while you view the birds that will flock to your home to play in the
water! The cost of this project is minimal compared to what you could spend at a gardening store on
a similar item. Few materials needed and it takes only minutes to complete.
What you'll need to complete the Terra Cotta Birdbath:
1. Two large terra cotta pots. These pots can be purchased at any of you
local home and garden stores. 12 to 14 inch or larger size pots work
the best, but depending on your personal taste you may want to go
smaller or larger.
2. One large terra cotta saucer. Choose a saucer large enough to set in
the top of one of the terra cotta containers. You could also use a terra
cotta "bowl" shaped pot in place of the saucer, which can also be
purchased anywhere you find gardening supplies.
To get started:
1. Decide first where you want to place the birdbath. I find that it works best when placed in an
area with soil-such as a flower bed, so you can firmly place the base of the birdbath.
2. Dig an area large enough to place the terra cotta pot, upside down, in the hole with the
bottom of the pot facing up. This will serve as the "base" of the birdbath. Secure the base of
the birdbath by placing soil around the pot and pressing firmly. It works best to place the pot
at least 2-3 inches into the soil, and to build some soil up around the base (approximately 1-
2 inches) to ensure it will stay put.
3. Place the second terra cotta pot on top of your base. You shouldn't have to worry about
how to secure this pot; the weight of the saucer and the water in the saucer is enough to
hold the pot on the base.
4. Once you have placed the pot on top of the secured base, place the saucer into the top of
the second pot. Fill with water, and your Terra Cotta Birdbath is complete. Yes, it's as