Fig Leaves and Other Christian Coverings
· Bible is full of broken people David, Noah, Moses, Peter, Jonah, Jacob.
· T hey all had faults, when these faults were out in the open they have experien ced the grace o f God.
5) Burying the Gifs of God:
· Luke 9:23 - Disciple = “deny self, take up the cross and follow Me”.
· People, who have been rejected, low esteem, misinterpret.
· We are not called to bury desires, gifts, dreams, passions, laughter, music, art, beauty, recreation – these are gi fts of God.
· Every person is designed uniquely – to represent God.
· Need to discover what God has put in you, not for you to kill it.
· Die to self = put to death defenses, arrog ance and judging others.
6) Denying the Impact of their Past:
· 2 Corinthians 5:17 - “Behold, all things have become new”.
· Past life continues to impact how the church relates to each other – we must change.
· People try to „move on' = pretend their past never happen ed.
· Check out how the family handled life! E.g. money, conflict, sex, grief, express es anger, family, relationships, feelings and emotions.
· Past patterns continue until revelation of New Culture – Family of God.
7) Spiritualizing and Avoiding Conflict/differen ces:
· No one like conflict but conflict is everywhere.
· John 4:16-18 - Jesus' life was filled with conflict, He created it! He disrupted „false peace' -refused to minimize.
· People see con flict as bad, something to fix or avoid.
· Result = blame, attachments, dishonest, silent, give in, avoid, with-draw.
With God we grow and mature to have power and impact the community.
We can all make a difference in someone's world.
Fig Leaves and Other Christian Coverings (3 of 4)
Sun 30 Nov 2008 AM « Back to Top
God sees the heart that responds and work with it. Holy Spirit speaks to an open heart. We won’t go forward if we
don’t grow. Be able to receive grace, don’t beat yourself up. Ask God to help, guide, show you, and enable you to get
up – have a heart good to God. Ask forgiveness, help – grace and goodness will come to the humb le. You will then
be ab le to show grace and minister to others, to enter other people’s lives. We need to take responsibility to grow and
change otherwise we don’t have anything to give to other people. Authenticity with God is to be passionate and wiling
to grow. Don’t stay where you are, step forward, move on, step up.
I want you to open your Bible with me in Luke, Chapter 10. We've been looking at fig leaves, or how people cover up,
and stop being authentic and real, and being a great pretence. There's a heap of people are - you could probably call
them this: The Great Pretender. [Laughter] God doesn't want the church to be full of great pretenders. You know at
Christmas we celebrate that God sent His Son into the earth to represent Him, and so now when Jesus left He said:
as the Father sent Me, now I send you; and He doesn't send a heap of pretenders. He sends a heap of real people to
represent what God is really like, to be authentic.
Last week we were looking about how Jesus had described what it means to love, and to be a mature believer, it
means there's a spiritual dimension, emotional dimension, physical dimension. Every part of our life is engaged in
passionately loving God, and it always overflows to those around us, so we can see how authentic, how mature we
are in the way we deal with the people around us. Well u nfortunately many aren't doing too good there and Christmas
time is a great time for people not to treat one another too well. They get busy all year, bury all their problems, get
together at Christmas and they're all on holiday, then they start to get ups et with one another. It shouldn't be like that
should it really? It doesn't need to be either.
Notice here there's a man who's been beaten up in life and been wounded and it says of the Good Samaritan - Verse
34 - he went to him, bandaged up his wounds - that's the word trauma. He went to him, he initiated action to go to the
man who had been traumatically impacted by what had happened to him, pouring on oil and wine; set him on his
horse, took him to an inn and took care of him. So this man entered the world of someone who was traumatised,
found out what was wrong in his life and then brought the life anointing of the Holy Spirit to impart, to heal and to
bring restoration to him. All of us believers are called into this ministry. Jesus said the spirit of t he Lord is upon Me.