Extracto de la Gramática Mutsun
DEL ORDEN SERAFICO DE N.P. SAN FRANCISCO, MINISTRO
DE DICHA MISION EN 1816.
The accompanying volume is printed exactly from a manuscript of 76 pages, small quarto,
belonging to the College of Santa Inez, by whose president it was, at the suggestion of A.S.
Taylor, Esq., forwarded to the Smithsonian Institution.
The Mutsunes were the Indians among whom the mission of San Juan Bautista was planted,
June 24, 1799. Their village lay in the centre of a valley, with abundance of rich land, and as late
as 1831 numbered 1200 souls. The mission is about 40 miles northwest from Monterey, and they
are thus the most northerly tribe, of whose language, to our knowledge, the Spanish missionaries
compiled a grammar. For purposes of comparison this little work, accordingly, possesses great
value, as the language was one of considerable extent, covering, according to Mr. Taylor's
estimate, a district one hundred and seventy miles long by eighty broad.