Not a member?     Existing members login below:
Holidays Offer
 

Comphensive Guide to Accessory Nutrients and Essential Oils


31
Meschino Health Comprehensive Guide to Accessory Nutrients and Essential Oils
Accessory Nutrients and Essential Oils
Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) (Fish Oil) (see also DHA)
General Features
Fish oil contains Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). These omega-3 fatty acids occur in
fish oil typically as 18 percent EPA, 12 percent DHA, for a total of 30 percent omega-3 composition.
These unique omega-3 fatty acids provide a number of health benefits such as lowering triglycerides, reducing platelet
stickiness and providing immediate precursors that provide anti-inflammatory activity.1,2
Supplementation with fish oil has been shown to increase the synthesis of prostaglandins (hormone-like substances)
and other eicosanoids that reduce inflammation and decrease platelet coaguability and thrombotic tendencies, while
facilitating vasodilation.3,4,5
Various polyunsaturated fats of the omega-6 and omega-3 series provide the precursors for prostaglandin and
eicosanoids synthesis. Omega-3 fats from fish oil have been studied extensively and a number of clinical trials reveal
the benefit of omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in the prevention and management of various health conditions.3,4,5,6
Supplementation Studies and Clinical Applications
1. Lower Triglycerides
Fish oil supplementation has consistently been shown to help reduce hypertriglyceridemia by 30-64 percent5 (i.e.
salmon oil 30 gms per day). More typically 15 gm of fish oil per day is used to lower triglyceride levels.5
2. Decrease Platelet Stickiness
Studies demonstrate that fish oil supplementation reduces platelet coaguability and thrombotic tendencies, via the
conversion of EPA to prostaglandin-series 3 end products.5,7
3. Blood Pressure
Many studies have revealed that supplementation with either fish oil or flaxseed oil can lower blood pressure in
hypertensive subjects.8,9,10
4. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Studies using fish oil supplementation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis demonstrate that it can profoundly
reduce morning stiffness, joint tenderness and the synthesis of pro-inflammatory eicosanoids. Over a dozen
studies of this nature suggest its superiority in this regard to oils that feature gamma-linolenic acid (i.e. evening
primrose oil).6
5. Multiple Sclerosis
Dr. Roy Swank, a professor of Neurology, provided evidence that manipulating dietary fats can slow the
progression of M.S. In short the Swank Diet encourages less saturated and hydrogenated fats, one teaspoon per
day of cod liver oil (containing EPA and DHA), 40-50 gms (3-4 tablespoons) of polyunsaturated vegetable oils, with
fish consumption three or more times per week (plus low fat protein foods, vegetables and some nuts).6,11,12
6. Crohn’s Disease
Fish oil supplementation has been shown to benefit patients with Crohn’s Disease via its effects on promoting the
formation of anti-inflammatory eicosanoids.2
www.meschinohealth.com
 
Remove