Blame/excuses Learn responsibility Take initiative- â€“subdue
(Unsaved) (Growing Believer) (Apostolic Believer)
Â· How did God work to change Israel?
- He created new experiences of difficulty â€“ opportunity to make new choices.
- Deuteronomy 8:2-3 - â€œâ€¦ the He might make you know that man does not live by bread alone
but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of Godâ€.
- Israelâ€Ÿs constant response: - think and act like slave
- Complain and blame â€“ Exodus 16:2, 7-8
- We are not able â€“ we canâ€Ÿt â€“ Numbers 13:30-32
- If you think, act and behave like a slave, you will be a slave even if you are free.
- If you think, act and behave to be free, hopeful in God, joy and faith in God, He is powerful
and with me â€“ I can do it.
4) How you can break Free of Learned Helplessness:
Romans 5:13 - â€œNow! May the God of all hope fill you with joy and peace in believing that you
might abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spiritâ€.
- God will provide the new experiences and help you grow through them.
1) Resolve Bitter Roots â€“ change how you live your live. Admit this â€“ leave pain, grieve and
resentment behind, cannot move into the things that God has for you â€“ give it to the Lord. :
Â· Hebrews 12:15 - â€œ... looking carefully lest any of you should fall short of the grace of God, lest
any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble and by this many become defeatedâ€.
Â· Ask the Holy Spirit to uncover any hidden roots from experiences of being powerless.
- anger - resentment - self pity - grief - unbelief - hopelessness
- Bitter expectations (belief) = â€œnothing I can do â€¦.â€, â€žHopelessâ€
Â· Repent from it and release it to the Lord.
2) Embrace New Challenges in a Different Way (Process):
Â· You have to change, you choose to change.
Â· We reap what we have sown = agree with old thoughts, powerless and then end up in a mess.
Â· God is committed to character not your comfort. He will bring t hings to melt you to bring out
the bad so that you can choose to change the thinking.
Â· How can I deal with this if I have never seen it before? You will reap different future. Spent
time with God, meditate on scripture, get near Him and hear how you can c hange.
Â· We are not victim; whatever we have to do we can do it through God with Faith. He is Mighty
Problem -> Feeling (Helpless) -> Think Powerless = Blame/excuse => Recap Consequences
Problem -> Identify feelings -> Challenge thinking = Assume responsibility => Recap Benefits
Mark 9:23 - â€œIf you can believe â€¦ all things are possible to him that believesâ€.
* Ask the Lord for Wisdom * Look for Opportunities * Take action and Persist