Authority in the Family
· Humans have been created to rule over the angels (1Cor 6:3)
b) Rules that govern conflict in the natural/spiritual world
· Satan is a created being – required by God to strictly obey rules (Job 1), he is confined to work in darkness.
· God has created laws and principles that govern natural and spiritual realm and he upholds them by his power.
· T here are only 2 positions you can take in relation to what God has ordered. Rom 13:1-2
Submit - hupertasso - arrange sel f under
Resist - antitasso - arrange sel f against
· Spirit world recognises all authority relationships – that God has established and must yield to the lawful exercise o f that authority.
· Demonic spirits are able to see the spiritual condition of any individual and identify any legal grounds to attach (Matt 12 :43, Acts 19)
· Human beings can yield authority over their lives either to God or to Satan.
(Luke 4:16, Rom 6:14)
· Allegiance/obedi ence increas es the authority/power o f God or Satan in persons life.
· Whatever a leader (head ) does with their authority affects every person under their care.
eg Luke 4:6 - Disobeyed to God automatically yielded rights to Satan.
- When person yields authority it is used by Satan against them.
eg Exodus 20:4-6
· Any commitment, dedication, curse or blessing entered into by a person in one generation may give authority over that persons descendants. Eg, Adam,
Abraham, David, Acham, Eli.
· If such cu rses, commitments not cancelled they pass generation to generation.
3. T he Husband is the Spiritual Gatekeeper
a) God calls men to provide protection.
Eph 5:23 “Husband is head of wife as Christ is head of church and He is the saviour of the body”
· “As” – in just the same manner as follows.
· Saviour – to deliver, to protect, to make safe.
· Subject – to place onesel f in battle array under the leaderships direction of husband so as to flow as a team and ful fil the purpose God intended for the
· Note: Eph 5 – order in relationships precedes Eph 6 – spiritual warfare.
b) A gatekeep er controls the entrance
· Matt 16:18-19 Gates – place o f entran ce, authority.
· OT – elders sat in the gates – made decisions, exercised authority.
· Whatever spiritual influences enter family come as a result of the exercise o f authority o f the man.
· Man can allow demonic activity or allow Holy Spirit activity.
· Man has greater authority – greater responsibilities. ie, man assigned task of protecting those more vulnerable, not taking advantage in the home/church.
· Key principle in exercising authority is service. (Matt 20:25-28) Motivated out of love.
· Purpose of that authority:
ii. Bless (nurture) Gen 2:15
4. How a Man can Protect his Home
· He must fully assume God given responsibilities and exercise authority in love.
i) Personal relationship with Christ – connected, receiving guidance, resolve personal issues.
ii) Holding wife and children in heart – shouldering responsibility.
iii) Exercise spiritual authority – speak into spirit world to forbid/release – break spiritual attacks on wife.
i) Hold fast his covenant commitment. Mal 2:15 (wife attached in security)
ii) Listen to his wife – needs, concerns. 1 Pet 3:7 (wife attached in loneliness)
iii) Honour and value his wife. 1 Pet 3:7 (wife attached in low esteem)
iv) Give direction in home – values, responsibilities, priorities. Josh 24:15 (wife attach ed in burden)
iv) Maintain family unity/agreement. Ps 133, Matt 18:19, Matt 12:25
Loving Leadership (5 of 5)
Mon 19 Jul 2010 « Back to Top
God never uses His power to get His way in our life, His loving -kindness attracts us to follow Him (Jeremiah 31:3).
What does this look like in marriage? This very practical se ssion unpacks 5 principles that will empower your
leadership in marriage: Principle of Headship, Principle of Bonding, Principle of Partnership, Principle of Honour,
Principle of Loving-kindness.