A Young Folks' History of the Church
The Twelve Apostles—the Seventies—the Kirtland
On the 14th of February, 1835, Joseph called together the brethren who had gone with
him to Missouri in Zion's Camp. He spoke to the meeting and told the brethren the Lord
had not forgotten them, but had remembered their faithfulness in answering the call of
duty, and now he had a blessing for them.
Joseph then said the time had come when twelve apostles should be called. It was the
duty of the three witnesses to the Book of Mormon to select twelve men for this high
calling, and these three brethren were then blessed for this purpose by the First
Presidency. The following were then selected to be the first quorum of Twelve Apostles
in the Church: Thomas B. Marsh, David W. Patten, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball,
Orson Hyde, Wm. E. McLellin, Parley P. Pratt, Luke Johnson, William Smith, Orson
Pratt, John F. Boynton and Lyman E. Johnson.
It is the duty of the Twelve Apostles to build up the Church and regulate its affairs in all
the world under the direction of the First Presidency; also to open the door of the gospel
to all nations.
On the 28th of February there was another meeting held, at which the first quorum of
seventy was organized. You will remember that the Savior, after He had chosen Twelve
Apostles to preach the gospel, chose also seventy to aid the Twelve in their work. So in
our day, twelve men could not do all the work of spreading the gospel, so it was
necessary to call other men. In this body of men seventy form a quorum. The first
quorum was organized from the brethren who were members of Zion's Camp.
It is the special duty of the Seventies to travel and preach the gospel under the direction
of the Twelve.
As early as May, 1833, the Lord told Joseph that the Saints should build a house to his
name. July 23, the foundation was laid. The Saints in Kirtland were not many, neither
were they rich, and it was therefore a great task for them to build such a house as the
temple. However, they gave donations of what they had and worked willingly with all
their might, until at last it was finished and dedicated to the Lord on Sunday, March 27,
During the meetings many glorious blessings were received. Angels were seen by many
of the Saints, Brigham Young spoke in tongues, others prophesied, and many saw
glorious visions. At the evening meeting George A. Smith arose and prophesied, when a
noise was heard like the sound of a mighty wind which filled the temple. All the people
arose at once and the Prophet Joseph told the Saints that the temple was filled with
angels, as he could see them. The people living near the temple, seeing a bright light
resting on the building and hearing a strange sound within, came rushing up to see what
was the matter.
Nearly every day there were meetings held in the temple. The next Sunday after the
dedication, Joseph and Oliver were praying in the sacred house when the Lord Jesus